Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Craft Day



So today is a house, yard, kid craft day.

Outside isn't above freezing so I am skipping yard craft, and I am barely getting over Christmas decoration overload (at least for me)-- so that gives me a KID craft.

I live in a tiny town and my kids will be with the same 30(ish) kids through out their whole school career (K-12), so I want to get to know the kids in my child's class before they are don't want me around.  So on Tuesdays you can find me in one of the kids classroom.  

The 2nd Tuesday I help in my sons Head Start classroom. 
I am going to post about the craft I did with them.

I have to keep it kind of simple because 1. It is pre-school 2. I have about 30-45 minutes.

It was really fun and I think the kids enjoyed it.  I didn't take any pictures cause they are Head Start kids and I don't want to infringe on their rights--so I didn't take any...


But we did colors. I read two really cute books about colors



White Rabbit's Color Book

White Rabbits Color Book by Alan Baker



And


Image result for what makes a rainbow book
   What makes a rainbow



I liked both these books--very cute and they held the children's attention.


After reading these books I had the kids get around a big table.  I had 3 small mason jars with colored vinegar.  Red, yellow, and blue food coloring plus the vinegar.  I thought the kids would take about the stinky smell, but no one did.

I put about a tablespoon of baking soda on a cookie sheet and poured on the blue vinegar. The kids thought was so cool.  I did the other colors with their own small pile of baking soda-- then I pour the yellow and blue vinegar together and so on.

The purple didn't turn out very well, but the rest were about perfect.

I recommend this experience for any kids.  I think even middle-schoolers would think it was cool for a few minutes.  

So there you go-- a fun, easy, and pretty cheap craft/experiment to do if you have younger kids. 



Come learn an easy trick that will get you the most dramatic, puffy, foamy baking soda and vinegar eruptions and learn the science behind it!  From Fun at Home with Kids


funathomewithkids.com is where I got this last photo--I wish mine looked that pretty!

No comments:

Post a Comment