Sunday, January 3, 2016

Welcome to Sunday Reverent Ramblings



I think for this first full week I would just introduce what I hope (anyone else notice I overuse the word hope?) to accomplish on Sunday's for the next year.


I have broken down each day into 4 groups (since most months have 4 of each day).

1st Sunday: 
I will try to post 4 different plans to hold a family night each week.  I want there to be at least a lesson and activity for your family to discuss, play, or just think about.

All my kids are under the age of 10, so planning it is pretty simple, but I want to engage each family member, so that can be a challenge to make sure my 10 year old and my 4 year old both are able to pay attention.

2nd Sunday
This Sunday I will take a topic from the scriptures to ponder and discuss.  In my religion the members of the congregation are asked to give the talks each week (about 10-12 minutes).  Wouldn't that be awesome if at the end of this year I had 52 topics I had thought about and basically wrote a talk about.

3rd Sunday
I  read a lot of self-help books and inspirational books, so I am hoping to discuss these books with you during the 3rd Sunday. I am always looking for ways to improve myself and reading out the of the 'best books' is one way I feel I can do that.


4th Sunday
One thing I try to do is read from the scriptures and figure out how what the scriptures are telling me can be used in my daily life to help me.  I don't claim to be a preacher, or to understand the mysteries of God, but I believe the Holy Spirit does direct and guide us individually to more fully understand something.  I want to share some thoughts I have had while doing this blog.

Do they all sound similar?  Hopefully I will be able to make them all different.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We start each family night with a church song (youtube your favorites) and a prayer. Once our kids are older and going their own ways during the week, we will do a quick calendar time to make sure we know what is happening in each others lives--this info includes concerts, study groups, extra work hours, dates planned, or other things your family is involved in).

If not everyone can be there, that is ok. Make it work with the ones that are there.

If it is just you or you and another loved one,  still do family night.  
YOU are important in the eternal family.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Being the 1st Sunday of the month, I don't feel like I can leave you with out something for your family to do on family night!

Each week we have an evening set aside for our family to be together.  Growing up I remember these were important for my family. Not only did we all bring our calendars so we could schedule where each person would be and when and why for the week, but my parents always tried to feed us spiritually too.

Some times we would do fun things, like see a movie, or go bowling, but mostly it was a lesson and if there was time (with 4 teen-agers there isn't always time), we would do an activity.

Since my kids are still young it is mostly me being burnt out and that is why we don't do an activity, or even a lesson.

So for January this is what I have planned for my little family.

We either have our family night Sunday or Monday---so we don't get confused I will use Sunday Dates.

Note: I do NOT believe in re-inventing the wheel, so you will see lots of links that you can click on to take you to where I am getting my information from.



Sunday the 3rd:   Discuss goals and the importance of knowing how to take steps to make something happen.

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2015/01/three-ways-setting-goals-can-be-different-this-year?lang=eng
(There is a great page to print out and fill out for adults or older kids at the bottom of this article)

Activity: Fill out this great form by Thirty Handmade Days.  (I don't know how to make things look cute to click on them--Links?  Something I need to learn!)

http://www.thirtyhandmadedays.com/2015/12/printable-new-years-resolutions-kids-2016/



Sunday 10th:  The Holy Ghost/Spirit
(Holy Ghost and Holy Spirit are the same thing, just different terms)

Discuss the importance of having the Holy  Ghost as your companion. Talk bout how to recognize the Holy Spirit in your life.

Mark these verses about the Holy Ghost in your scriptures: John 14:16–172 Nephi 32:5, and Moroni 10:5. Discuss ways the Holy Ghost helps you.

(for younger kids)  Roll the dice and talk about the different things that come up 

http://fashionsbylynda.com/blog/?p=739

Older Kids/Adults

Oh, I have been searching for something like this! Charting the New Testament - BYU Studies:
Sunday the 17th

I try to make at least one night a month about having fun. We will play family games, watch a movie together, read a book together, or any thing else we think might be fun.

Sunday the 24th:    The Bible is the Word of God.

Discuss why the Bible is important and how it came to be. 

https://www.lds.org/topics/bible?lang=eng


The Bible is a BIG book for a little one, so I like this reading chart. We do have a few children's Bibles that we will read, but I think these are great to read directly from the Bible.


Special Sunday the 31st:
This year I want to try to have the extra day of the month with a family member or someone we want to spend our family time with.

I think we will ask our Glam-ma and her hubby to join us on this Family Night Via Skype/Google +.   We will ask them questions about their life, or ask them to come up with a lesson for our kids.  

If you don't have this option, maybe your family could adopt a grandma/pa near by.  Someone who doesn't have family around would be ideal.  Invite them over for family night and just spend time with them. 



Hope these help getting your family night going. 


No comments:

Post a Comment