Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Wednesday's crafts

Crafty Wednesday.

I wonder what Wednesday will cover?

How about crafts and getting projects done?

I am an eternal crafter.(spell check is telling me crafter is now a word, but isn't giving me better options--anyone have a better word?)  I have a little bit (a lot) of different types of crafts.  The problem with me is--I don't craft.

When I go to my craft room (yes I have a small craft room--I am so spoiled) I spend more time organizing, re-arranging, and trying to get everything perfect that I run out of crafting time.

Plus on and off I have had babies,  and they just totally ruin any chance of crafting, but I am DONE with excuses.  I am going to get something done this year and you are going to help me!

So come along with me and watch me turn my piles of stuff in to helpful, beautiful, useful crafts!


The first week, well I am not so sure very many people will be interested.  I am a professional face-painter who greatly lacks in natural skill.  I have to practice, practice, practice.
So the 1st Wednesday I will be practicing my craft. BUT I will be throwing other random crafts in there too--so you might get a few weeks of face-painting and then a blog about origami, or soap making, or something random like that.  SO check back.

The 2nd Wednesday is about house, yard and kid crafts.  Obviously the yard crafts will take place more in the summer time, while the winter will focus more on house crafts.  I will address everything from making magnets, to fairy gardens, to gardening, to flannel board activities with your kids.

3rd Wednesday's will focus on food crafts and just plan cooking stuff.  I do a lot of canning in the fall and get so sick of it--but through out the year I try to have my kids help make dinners and learn new ways to work in the kitchen.  If you are a beginner I don't make very difficult menus or recipes.  If you are an expert please leave comments on how to improve my meals and if you are a health nut, you might want to avoid 3rd Wednesdays--but know I am trying to eat better (if you ignore the fact we might have had hamburger helpers last night (but we added corn and pea's-that counts right?)).

The 4th Wednesday I think I will try to do the most time consuming, and biggest 'stuff' collection of crafts I have--which is -- Scrap-booking and card making stuff.  I have a lot and this is the stuff I normally rearrange and try to put perfect before I work on anything, so nothing gets done.  But with this blog I will conquer that--right?


I am thinking I will either have to post these a little during the day--OR do the craft some time during the week and post it on here on Wednesday.

Anyway

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Wednesday of January.

The Art of Face Painting

I have loved make-up since I was little. I remember my grandpa giving me a lip gloss when I was little.  It was really sparkly, and it smelled good.

Fast forward to middles school days and because I had an older sister, I wanted to wear make-up.  I would sneak wear it so my mom wouldn't find out, but I don't think she really cared.  I remember going to the dermatologist and him asking me to bring all my make-up.  Any make-up I owed was given to me, or I had bought the cheapest stuff.  Since I didn't know what I was doing I had bought face powder (no foundation yet) that was way to dark, so I bought face powder that was way to light and dumped them both in an little box--the kind that jewelry comes in.

When the dermatologist opened that make-up box I could tell my mother was embarrassed that I was using that as a make-up holder so I think we went to the drug store and bought some cheap make-up, in the right color.

Fast forward again to high school and I did theater.  I loved playing with the make-up and did other peoples make-up for the plays.  I didn't really wear make-up every day, but I loved playing with it.

After high school I really got into make-up. In college I took the theater make-up classes and bought make-up books, both for glamour, theater, and daily wear.  Again, I never wore it daily, but still had a ton of it.

I went to a year a college, then moved home.  I worked for a few different make-up lines at the mall, and wore make-up everyday.  I was still pretty natural for a make-up counter girl, but I got to experiment and I loved it.  I wish I would have learned to do make-up like Dior or the MAC ladies, but I am happy where I was. I was there for about a year maybe all together.  I can't remember for sure how long.

I married a man whose mother is a Director for Mary Kay, so after being married a year, we moved back to his home town and I started doing the business end of her Mary Kay business.  I learned a lot and again loved being surrounded by make-up. I worked for her about 4 years I think.  It was really great.

During this whole time I still played with make-up, but it wasn't until about 3 years ago I watched a you-tube video on face-painting. Lisa Joy Young, was amazing and I was hooked.  I bought $50 worth of paint (which gets you about 4 colors and a couple brushes).  I started watching you tube videos, practicing on anyone who would let me, and just learning all I could.

Like I said I don't have natural talent.  I don't see what colors might look good together, or how a design might work better if I changed something up. I have to work super hard at any face I accomplish.

The 1st thing you are taught is lines.  You have to learn to paint a line from thick to thin, thin to thick, thick to thin to thick, and thin to thick to thin. It sounds boring, but it takes skill.

 I am working on 100 teardrop challenge right now.  I want to be able to do 100 'perfect' tear drops in a row with out one mess up.  If I do ten and mess up I have to start over--

I will report next time if I got my 100 perfect teardrops!

No comments:

Post a Comment