Saturday, September 20, 2014

9/20/2014---Day 50



I totally missed yesterday and I have no excuses.  I just plain forgot!

Today has been wonderful and very tiring. 





Started with cleaning the kitchen up, harvesting the garden, and starting the garden clean up.  It felt so good to pull all the spinach, the sweet peas, some of the corn that was done, and lots of other item that had gone to seed.
This is AFTER we harvested the garden and while our garden was blanching the girls (and Little Man) went out and helped move the wood pile closer!  My family is AMAZING!



The rest of the day was spent in the kitchen canning and freezing items.  We have a crabapple tree that gave us four boxes of apples and whoa that is a job!  It isn't hard, but time consuming. Sometime I really wonder if it is worth it.  I think as I am doing it--I could just spend $20 on buying canned juice (not as yummy, but easier) and be done with it!

Same with the rest of the garden.  Some items aren't that hard--carrots for one, but corn--it is messy and takes lots of space, and the time it takes to shuck it, blanch it, cut it off the cob, and freezer pack it---seriously I can buy cans of it for super cheap!

I know it is the knowledge that is important--so I keep at it, plus there is a certain pride in looking in your cupboard/freezer knowing you did all that--but it isn't worth it if you don't use it and that is where another one of my problems comes in!  
This is the kitchen in the middle of canning!  The dishwasher is holding the sterile jars, the jars to the very left are apple juice---carrots and ?? are on the table--the water jug is to fill the bottom of the canning juicer as seen on the stove!  It is a messy process to can apple juice, carrots, rutabaga, turnips, peppers, and corn all at once!



Another problem was during my last waterbath the larger burner stopped working! I have another large burner on the stove, but the cupboard is too low; I can't get my canning pot under it.  So now my last two waterbaths are happening on the small burner--which takes FOREVER to heat up!

The girls were an amazing help and Little Man did so good staying out of the way and doing a little here and there. 

On a totally different note!! The girls had homecoming this week, so every day was a different dress up day.  Monday: PJ Day  Tuesday: Twin Day (dress the same as a friend)  Wednesaday: Hippy Day  Thursday: Throwback Day (dress in any era, but was later told the girls needed to come as their grandparents (they went as great grandparents)) Friday: Green & White day (school colors) and then they brought a change of clothes to the superhero that their class decided one.  

Squirts class was Green Lantern and Firecracker was Underdog.  '
The authentic costumes the girls got to wear. They changed for lunch and recess into their play clothes they had on under them so they would stay clean. The costumes were in the costume closet when we moved into the house--I am guessing they are from the last 40's.



It was a short, but cute parade.  

Pictures to be added later!  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment