Tuesday, September 30, 2014

9/30/2014--day 40--So the freezer went out


 knew our freezer was having problems cause it was full of freezer burn.

Not that I am complaining because I crave the taste/texture of freezer burned ice, but alas all things come to an end.

Today I went to go get a big cup of Sonic ice (did you know you can buy a bag of sonic ice for about $2.50?)---and when I opened the freezer-the top two shelves were totally defrosted and huge chunks of ice were built up on the third shelf down that I couldn't even close the freezer door all the way.

Still not sure how that happened, but it was a good thing it did.  So I moved all our still frozen/good food to the deep freeze in the garage--which is really a better place for it.  I didn't organize anything I just threw it all in there (right on top of my Bro-in-laws prized fish that has been in there for maybe 5 years). So that is another project I am not looking forward to, but at least I have stuff in there now to help it run better.

BUT as I was loading the freezer I looked at the corn, the green beans, and more green beans (seriously I have like 35 quart sized freezer bags FULL of green beans), and I  am kicking myself a little for not canning them.

I am sure I have said it before, but I am not sure HOW to use a pressure cooker, so I don't.  I have a new one--never been used--owned it for at least 2 years now! Anyway, I did have to throw a few bags of corn and one bag of apple pie filling away, not only because I had no idea how long they had been thawed (seriously, not even cold to the touch), but because they were really old anyway.

One more reason to can food.  Canned food stays good even in power outages, and I find it much easier to pull out a can of food and have it ready in 5 minutes, then think about pulling out a freezer bag, thawing it, and then making sure you have enough time to let it boil to get soft enough to chew.

One last note.  I am pretty sure this is my last blog post of canning--Let the cheering begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment